We (CDTA) will be promoting Trail Building Sessions on the CDT in accordance with the objectives of IMBA to support the establishment of this trail where possible. Obviously, since we as Mountain Bikers are banned from the Wilderness we will have to carefully assess the projects we support. However, much of the CDT will be outside of Wilderness Areas and accessible with bikes. We will try to influence the layout and design of the trail as much as possible to support alternative routes for cycling. The sessions below represent the overall focus of the CDTA and do not indicate our involvement in all of these projects. More detailed information will be developed as the Summer progresses.
- Saturday, April 18 through Sunday, April 19, 2009 Mt. Taylor Continental Divide Trail (CDT) Session
Help us build a new section of the CDT at Mt. Taylor, which will connect several miles of recently constructed segment. These trails are open to Mt. Biking. This is an overnight session so please be prepared to camp. Also, you MUST register with Jason Koschmeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he knows how many people will be showing up.
Leader: Jason Koschmeder & Heather Gordon (505) 265-4358, 842-7851
- July 26-31 Ojitos Trail I, Santa Fe NF, NM (7,000’ – 8,000’) Help us reconstruct phase one of this exciting section of the CDT as it climbs out of the Chama River Canyon Wilderness. The scenery in this area is spectacular. Come and see the inspirational landscape that Georgia O’Keefe called her home.
- August 16-21 Chama I, Santa Fe NF, NM (7,000’ – 8,000’)Come join us on this project and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the Chama River Canyon Wilderness. This new section of Trail will climb north from the river to the top of the mesa and continue along the mesa rim offering great views of the canyon below.
- August 28-30 Chama II, Santa Fe NF, NM (7,000’ – 8,000’) We continue to work on a new Trail section in the Chama River Canyon Wilderness with beautiful views from the mesa rim.
- September 7-11 Cruces Basin, Carson NF, NM (9,400’ 10,900’) A new section of the CDT will be constructed in this scenic area of the Carson National Forest. Located near the New Mexico-Colorado border, this re-routed Trail will hug the Cruces Basin Wilderness with spectacular scenery and abundant wildlife in a remote location.
- September 18-20 Ojitos Trail II, Santa Fe NF, NM (7,000’ – 8,000’) We continue reconstructing phase two of this exciting section of the CDT as it climbs out of the Chama River Canyon Wilderness. Georgia O’Keefe drew inspiration from this breathtakingly beautiful landscape.